Dedicated to the citizens of Mason County, Washington since 1886

HISTORY AT A GLANCE

Christening the Steamship Shelton

In 1928, the newly organized Tacoma-Oriental Steamship company purchased seven freighters and renamed each of them for a Pacific Northwest town or county. The SS Cuprum was renamed Shelton. The remaining six ships were named after Seattle, Tacoma, Everett, Bellingham, Olympia and Grays Harbor.

Mason County Journal Editor Grant Angle wrote: "The budding City of Shelton ought to feel 'all puffed up' over the nice recognition of its present and prospective part in the shipping affairs of Puget Sound by the acceptance of its name for one of the large Tacoma-Oriental liners. Certainly the honor...

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 
Rendered 02/21/2024 05:41