Early Grapeview schools - Part 1
September 1, 2022
Much of the information in this story is from the book "Grapeview, Detroit of the West," by Mary Sagerson and Duane Robinson.
In 1893, when the Grapeview area was known as Detroit (the name was changed in 1922), a small one-room schoolhouse was built near the water. "The school was located at the head of the slough right by the skid road that loggers built. The oxen teams working on hauling the logs down would fascinate the children. After their work, the loggers would leave the oxen in the clearing and they would wander over to the schoolhouse, which was built on log piers to be off the g...