Moving Odd Fellows Hall
April 13, 2023
The first settlers to make their homes near the head of Little Skookum Inlet in the mid-1880s called their settlement Kamilche, after the Native American name for the valley. Around 1889, a logging railroad was pushing its way past Kamilche up Little Skookum to reach more open water. When the railroad reached the point where Little Skookum merged with Totten Inlet, docks were built and a small community called New Kamilche took shape. In addition to homes, there was a hotel, saloons, store buildings, a post office, a school and an Odd Fellows Hall. New Kamilche began to decline in 1894, whe...
For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.