Items from The Mason County Journal, August 1919
August 4, 2022
At about 3 on the morning of Aug. 1, 1919, "neighbors gradually awoke to the fact that the old Willey residence on the northwest corner of Cota and Seventh was on fire. By the time the alarm was turned in and the steam siren sounded the call, the building was burning fiercely and beyond saving, but the hose team held the fire in check and prevented it from spreading. Sparks and pieces of shingles rose high enough in the air to fall all over the business district, but caused no damage.
Fortunately the Holt family, who rented the home, was out of town at the time."
In early August, the Journ...
For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.